TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities - Dean Radin As I mentioned in my recent review of Bruce Lipton’s book, “The Biology of Belief”, I recently attended the annual conference of IONS (Institute of Noetic Science) and this was the first time that I had the pleasure of meeting Dean Radin. I mention this because Dean’s speaking style and demeanor are also reflected in “Supernormal”, his most recent book, and these qualities are what make his work interesting and informative. Contrary to what seems to be the standard stereo type of scientists, Dean, Bruce, and the other scientists at IONS have an uncanny ability to make scientific research and technical information more palatable to those who do not have a scientific background.

As for the book itself, “Supernormal” is a wonderful blend of scientific research and all things yoga. Dean uses his skills and scientific background to investigate the claims appearing in the ancient Yoga Sutras. Originating around 2000 years ago and compiled and recorded by Patanjali, the Yoga Sutras discuss more than just the standard, physical aspects of yoga, they also discuss mental/meditation practices that enable the practitioner to activate extraordinary powers. Of course many believe that such feats of super human abilities are simply the stuff of exaggerated legends and delusional observations. With standard, repeatable, scientifically based experiments Dean demonstrates that many of the superhuman feats found in the ancient text are indeed possible. Certainly no claim is made that all of the feats can be substantiated; however, there does appear to be a growing body of evidence that supernormal abilities do exist and they are not exclusive to a select few. It has been demonstrated over and over again that pre-cognitive abilities, psychokinesis, telepathy and various other abilities are inherent in everyone, it’s just that these abilities are not as developed as they are in those people who practice certain mental and physical techniques.

With modern research in hand Dean shows the reader that it is often the illogical and biased views of a small group of skeptics, who have not kept up with modern research, that use their own personal limitations/biases/agendas to deliberately cast doubt on the research being done at the frontiers of human development. Rather than view the new research with an open mind and stretch the boundaries of their knowledge, they seem to prefer the comfort and certainty that living on a flat earth provides. In my biased opinion, a true scientist is fascinated by the unknown and he/she is motivated to explore new frontiers. I believe that Dean shares these views and he is indeed living the wise words shared by Rumi so long ago, “Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”