TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom

The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom - Tsai Chih Chung, Brian Bruya, Laozi The author/illustrator, Tsai Chih Chung once again uses ancient scriptures/writings as the basis for this book and while the illustrations are superb, and the overall concept unique, I enjoyed the stories in “Zen Speaks” a lot more, and that left me somewhat conflicted when writing this review. I realize that Tsai had no control over the original material and I don’t think a less than perfect rating should reflect on his contribution; however, I did REALLY enjoy “Zen Speaks” more and if a person had to choose between the two books, I would recommend that one over this one; hence, the 4 star rating.

Regardless of the rating, I believe that anyone wanting to learn more about the Tao will likely benefit from reading “The Tao Speaks.” The illustrations make the material interesting and more memorable than just reading text, and I found that the “Translator’s Preface” does a superb job of providing historical context to the period in China’s history when this book was written.