TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

Believe in Yourself

Believe in Yourself - Joseph Murphy Perhaps best known for his outstanding book, The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, Joseph Murphy was also the author of more than 30 books, including this small one, Believe in Yourself.

It’s been awhile since I read, The Power of your Subconscious Mind, so I can’t say that I remember it all that well; however, from what I recall, the message in the two books is very complimentary: you are what you think and if you truly wish to be successful you need to use the conscious mind to program the subconscious mind with success thoughts.

In this book, Dr. Murphy really emphasizes that by focusing our thoughts on the positive and then enlisting the help of our imagination to see our desires as already fulfilled we start a process of manifestation that will ultimately be realized - to the direct extent that we believe in that vision and stay focused on it.

One of the analogies that really cemented this concept for me (pun intended) was that of the architect on how they are able to use their imagination to conceive of and then proceed to draw, in exact proportions, what they imagined. These drawings and designs are then the blueprints that eventually lead to the physical manifestation of their ideas. Houses, buildings, whole cities are first conceptualized, then materialized and we take it for granted, yet it seems that in our personal lives many of us don’t utilize this amazing power of creation.

Dr. Murphy’s message in this book helps reinforce how important it is for us, as individuals, to use our imagination to see an ideal for ourselves and then to unwaveringly hold on to that vision until it becomes our reality, “According to your faith it is done unto you.”

As with many/most/perhaps all of the books in this genre, and by this genre you can use whatever label you like: New Age, New Thought, Metaphysical, Transformational, etc., there is a component that delves into aspects of reality that some people might not be totally comfortable with. This is to say that when dealing with the topic of the mind there is inevitably a discussion of the “unseen” or the spiritual side of our existence as well. This will also lead invariably to the label of “God” being used as well as some Biblical quotes. Personally, I don’t find the use of these labels to be “religious”, I see these terms used merely to define a point of reference to facilitate discussion. As I have said in earlier reviews, I do not have any religious affiliation, nor do I enjoy reading books that promote one particular religion; therefore, if I felt that this book, or any of the books in this genre were too “preachy” or dogmatic, I would likely not read it and I certainly would not post a review.

If you have come to a point in your life where you are interested in a deeper understanding of the nature of reality, how are thoughts create reality and you realize that this discussion necessitates some exploration of the more “ethereal/esoteric” mind-stuff, then this book, and the others written by Joseph Murphy would be valuable additions to your reading list.