TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

Creative Mind and Success

Creative Mind and Success - Ernest Holmes Although not as old as some of the original books in the “New Thought” movement, I still consider Ernest Holmes’ second book, Creative Mind and Success, as a classic in the field of personal development.

I have yet to read any of Ernest’s other books, including the predecessor to this book; however, I must say that I enjoy his writing style and I really resonate with his views on the nature of reality and creation. The main premise of this book is that everything in this universe was created from consciousness, “The starting point of our thought must always begin with our experiences. We all know that life is, else we could not even think that we are. Since we can think, say and feel, we must be. We live, we are conscious of life; therefore we must be and life must be. If we are life and consciousness (self- knowing) then it follows that we must have come from the life and consciousness.”

Continuing on, Ernest explains that we direct this consciousness through our thoughts, which then in turn will create our reality, “By the activity of our thought things come into our life,…” and “Just as the creative power of the soil receives all seats put into it, and at once begins to work on them, so mind must receive all thought and at once began to operate on it. Thus we find that all thought has some power in our lives over our conditions.”

To put it another way, if we dwell on the negative, we are drawing to ourselves more negativity and if we wish to improve the quality of our lives we need to intentionally focus our thoughts on the positive. The idea is that the power of creation (consciousness, God, whatever label you wish to use) does not impede our free will so it will not judge our intentions; it will simply manifest to the extent that we focus on a specific outcome.

I don’t want to give the impression that this book is convoluted or overly intellectual -by trying to condense pages of ideas into a brief book summary might make the ideas seem more convoluted than they are in the book. The ideas are presented in a more modern writing style than some of the other, early books in this field and the information is presented in a logical flow; however, potential readers should realize that this topic does require a great deal of introspection and an open mind. Furthermore, due to the nature of the topic there will necessarily be numerous references to spirituality/religion.

I do not have any religious affiliation and I do not enjoy reading religious texts and while Ernest does have numerous Biblical references, they flowed with the topics and did not come across as preaching.

This book is only 63 pages long and at this point in my journey I have not read a book that so concisely and eloquently speaks to the nature of consciousness and the power of thought. I know that I will read this book several more times and I suspect that every time I do I will glean a little more from the life-altering words within.