TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

What I Know For Sure

What I Know For Sure - Oprah Winfrey Having not watched very many episodes of the Oprah show and not having read the “O” magazine more than a few times I wasn’t too sure what to expect from Oprah’s latest book, “What I know for Sure”; however, being interested in this genre I thought I would give this book a try and see what insights I could glean from within.

Perhaps those that are more familiar with Oprah’s life, or her writing style, would expect the first pages to be written as they were - very much like a, “Day in the life of…” - and this led me to think that “What I know for Sure” was just going to be a tale of slumber parties and somber moments. Thankfully I read on though because there are some very interesting and insightful thoughts shared on the later pages.

Oprah openly shares some of the major challenges she has faced, some of the wonderful people she has met on the journey and the some of the inner ‘A-ha’ moments – the real gift that this book provides to the reader. While I understand that some readers will enjoy hearing about the other people in Oprah’s life, Oprah’s introspective moments are what resonate with me.

During these times of introspection and discovery Oprah comes face to face with universal truths that include: how our challenges often create our best opportunities, ‘Anything can be a miracle, a blessing, an opportunity if you choose to see it that way’; the importance of gratitude, ‘Gratitude can transform any situation. It alters your vibration, moving you from negative energy to positive’; the power of choice, ‘Right now, no matter where you are, you are a single choice away from a new beginning’; the need to love who we are, ‘Look inward-the loving begins with you’ and many more philosophical maxims that are relevant to all of us.

Oprah’s book reminds us that regardless of where we were born and no matter what road we travelled to arrive at our current place in life, it is all part of the human condition. The challenges we have faced can’t be undone, yet we have the power to change our perceptions of the past and we have the ability to create a future in line with our desires. It seems that Oprah’s life, a life of one of the most recognized and successful personalities in her profession, is shared in this book to show the reader that no matter who we are, our struggles aren’t unique and WE ALL have the power to make positive changes.