TinyThoughtGuy

TinyThoughtGuy

Notes to the Future: The Authorized Book of Selected Quotations

Notes to the Future: The Authorized Book of Selected Quotations - Nelson Mandela Just think, not too long ago it was illegal to quote him, this review could have landed me in jail....

This book, “Notes to the Future” is an authoritative collection of Nelson Mandela’s ‘most inspiring and historically important quotations.’ The reader is provided with wisdom and insights derived from Nelson Mandela’s public speeches, interviews and even his personal letters to friends and family. The quotes are dated from the time before his incarceration, up until the start of the new millennium, and they are arranged into four central themes: “Struggle”; “Victory”; “Wisdom”; “Future”; with these themes then being broken down into categories/sub-themes - generally consisting of between two and seven quotes.

While it would impractical to list all of the profound insights that the reader will find in “Notes to the Future”, a few of them are:

“ Our differences are our strength as a species and as a world community.”

“We should never forget those on whose shoulders we stand and those who paid the supreme price for freedom.”

“It is in the character of growth that we should learn from both pleasant and unpleasant experiences.”

“It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.”

“No single person, no body of opinion, no political doctrine, no religious doctrine can claim a monopoly on truth.”

In addition to these specific quotes, “Notes to the Future” contains another 300+ quotes, all dated and sourced.

The final few pages of the book are dedicated to Nelson Mandela’s Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in 1993 and, just so that the reader is aware, Nelson Mandela’s biographical information is limited to the information gleaned from the quotes themselves and the brief introduction by Desmond Tutu.